Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Mini History Blogs: Kathrine of Valois

The remains of Katherine of Valois by Samuel Pepys (according to his diary in 1669.)
......"I now took to Westminster Abbey, it being Shrove Tuesday;and here we did see, by particular favour, the body of Queen Katerine of Valois; and I had the upper part of her body in my hands, and I did kiss her mouth, reflecting upon it that I did kiss a Queen, and that this was my birthday, thirty six years old, that I did first kiss a Queen. When Henry the Seventh built his chapel, it was taken up and laid in this wooden coffin; but I did there see that, in it, the body was buried in a leaden one, which remains under the body to this day"
Not the actions of a normal man surely?


The image is of the wooden effigy of Katherine, it was made for her funeral and survives to this day in the Undercroft Museum at Westminster Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment